Monday, September 7, 2009

My Mama’s Love

I have to say my pride got the better of me.

It made a play on me little by little.

Just when I thought I was in the know.


My anger shot up over the past two years.

I was –am– doing much better with my money.

When, without mama, I wouldn’t get here at all.


It all came together at my lolo’s funeral.

Mama shed tears when no one looked.

She was strong and beautiful, dependable and wise.


She gave money she didn’t have – finding a way to provide.

She closed her eyes to the future hardship.

She is the eldest, and has hope only at her side.


At first, I wanted to scream at other’s selfishness.

But her sister simply stood amazed, boasting of her always.

She helped me see that mama acts all out of love.


I thought I could live grand if I didn’t imitate her ways.

But mama just loves the best way she knows how.

As a daughter, a sister, a mother, and a friend.


Mama is always generous with her time.

She cooks with care, and waits upon me each day.

She does everything without expectation.


She humbles herself and borrows money you ask.

Just so you can have what you wanted.

She puts her family first, herself always last.


I withdraw in shame at this revelation.

I am nothing like mama, and I am wrong.

For her I will eternally be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment