Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Measurement of Success

I once lived a wasteful life in Manila. I worked uncontrollably, and somehow got tired of the pains that my manager caused me. Because of this, I did not give my best at my work in the hotel. There was no room for growth in my career. I cried almost every night after work at the blessed sacrament. One day, although I was done for my shift and had a balanced transaction, somehow my cash float was missing some money. There was an investigation, I was judged as careless, and got suspended. To me, that was the end of my career in the hotel industry. I felt I wasted four years of my life getting a bachelor's degree in Hotel Management.

In the midst of these painful events in my life, my father got imprisoned, and my brother wasted all our money with women and booze. My family was torn with depression, and I lost track of what I was supposed to be doing. I realized that my family was more important and decided to go home. I quit my job, got into the IT business, and prayed hard. Again, I cried many times to the Lord in secret.

When I moved to my hometown, I realized that there was a big task of evangelization at hand. I took every effort to invite and follow up acquaintances so that they would join the community. I also focused on improving myself by learning new things and doing my best at work for the Lord. I found my happiness at work because it was a place where many believers worked together. Next thing I know, I got a promotion, brought many friends to community, and helped my family pick up the pieces. Add to this, I was flying business and first class, and checking in five-star hotels - all the services I only used to provide when I was working in the hotel industry.

When I graduated, I thought that my life was about having a glamorous job and becoming successful in my field. I thought it was about pleasing your manager so that you can get a promotion. I learned the hard way. I may not be as successful, but God has given me wisdom to lead people to their true home. By God's grace, I overcame my difficulties. He also made me see that I need to take full responsibility in my role as an evangelizer. In life, there are more important things to worry about.


"Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matthew 6:33

No comments:

Post a Comment